Saturday, January 12, 2008

Real ID -- Your papers please?

Homeland Security is going forward with its plans to establish nationally vetted driver's licenses. If the next administration lets this go forward, I will refuse to fly or drive ever again. Of course some states are trying to impose voter ID using driver's licenses, so the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist reptilian part of my brain goes hmmm.

This law might have all the best intentions in the world, but it's definitely on the downhill side of a slippery slope. As I've posted before, one of the greatest freedoms in our country is the freedom to travel from sea to shining sea unfettered.

Read all about it.

At least I'll be 57 and probably shouldn't do any driving at that age. And since I live in Washington, DC, what's the use in driving or voting anyway?

As Benjamin Franklin is supposed to have said, "Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither."

And something he definitely did say that I use as my email sig: "It is the duty of every citizen to question authority."

No comments: